1.22.2009

01.20.09

Inauguration!! We are five hours behind everyone at home, so it didn’t start until 4:30 here. It is crazy how interested the Irish are with our politics. They are so knowledgeable about the topics, and they absolutely love Obama and love to talk to us Americans about it. It drives me nuts how they pronounce his name though; “Ba-raaack.” I just want to say “It’s Ba-rock people!” Anyways, they had an event down on campus and played the inauguration on a projector. So we headed down to watch; it was a great speech. There were only a few Americans there, but the Irish packed the bar and cheered away. I have been trying to keep myself updated with the news at home, which isn’t hard because whenever I turn on the TV all they talk about is America. Oh and random but good news!! The exchange rate is down to 1 euro = $1.29! So that is exciting! The pound is also way down, $1.36 last I checked, which is the lowest it has been since 1985. This is good for us since we will be traveling that way in February.

I tried to go down to immigration again yesterday. No such luck, the “queue” was ridiculously long and they closed before they got to us. So I will try again next Monday. I went to the Cork City Library on my way back and bought a library card for 1.25 euro. I got a few traveling books for London and Dublin. All this free time is getting to me! I am not used to this!

It snowed the other day! All in a 5 minute time period we had rain, huge flakes of snow, then back to rain. Not close to what New England is getting, but for Ireland that is pretty crazy.

I am off to Dublin in about an hour. We are going to the bus station and it is about a four hour bus ride. I will be back in Cork on Sunday. Hopefully with lots of pictures!!

1 comment:

Hope said...

Good for you, buying a library card. But you'd think since you spend so much time in the libs at QU, you would want to get away from it ;)

I miss your face!! <3 Hope